Thursday, November 20, 2008

TWD Arborio Rice Pudding

Our Challenge for this week's TWD is Arboria Rice Pudding, White, Black (or both). My challenge could have been called, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again! I am not a big fan of rice pudding so I was not too excited about trying this recipe. It seemed simple and not as time consuming as last week's recipe so I decided to give it a try. A mixture of milk, rice, sugar and vanilla are cooked slowly until it thickens. Somewhere along the way, this went wrong and I ended up with rice soup instead of pudding. I made two mistakes that lead to this debacle. First I used the wrong rice. I didn't have Arborio rice in my pantry, so I used regular long grain rice. Second, I learned that the cooking time needed to be longer.



I could have stopped there but I hated to let something so simple end in failure. I decided to give it a second try. Luckily I found the correct rice (I live 30 minutes from a medium size store and an hour from a large one) and set out to correct my mistakes.


The second try turned out great! I'm so glad that I decided to give it another chance. On the second try, the pudding thickened after about 45 minutes. It had a perfect creamy consistency and wasn't too sweet. It tasted great warm or chilled. I didn't add the chocolate this time but might in the future.
Thanks to OSI: Isabelle from Les gourmandises d’Isa for choosing this recipe. I will definitely be making this again!


1 comment:

Teanna DiMicco said...

Way to try it again! It looks great!