Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise

This weeks recipe for Tuesday's with Dorie was Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise and it was chosen by Andrea of Andrea In The Kitchen. I was so undecided about making this recipe. The picture looked delicious but I have not always been successful with meringues. Plus it has been raining and really humid here for the past week, not the best conditions for making meringues. I had just about decided against it when I saw pineapple happened to be on sale this week at the store. OK, I guess that was a sign I need to make the Dacquoise. OK, maybe just half a recipe.

This recipe is not hard to make but it takes some time. I realized that the Dacquoise first had to cook for 3 hours but I failed to read through and see the chilling times. I baked this on Friday afternoon and didn't finish it until Sunday. I made three 6 inch square meringues and a third of the recipe for the white chocolate ganache. This makes such an elegant dessert. The broiled pineapple, ganache, and coconut were so good together!

I didn't have a problem baking the meringues. They turned out very nice. The only problem I had was toasting the coconut just a bit long. The verdict-I'm really glad that I decided to make Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise.


7 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Picture perfect.

Anonymous said...

My coconut cooked a little longer than I intended, too, but it gave it a nice toasty flavor. Great job!

Heather said...

Lovely dacquoise! I think it's a good idea to make squares - I thought the 12x6 was a bit unwieldy.

Jessica said...

It looks lovely. It's been raining here quite a bit, too, so I definitely understand the desire to hold off on making this. I kept waiting for a break in the weather so that I could start the meringues!

Anonymous said...

Your dacquoise looks so pretty! I thought of sprinkling the toasted coconut on top too (after I accidentally dropped a few on top...). So glad everything turned out well, especially since you weren't sure about baking it!

Leslie said...

I love your photos! Your dacquoise looks so inviting and delicious!

TeaLady said...

I am glad you did, too. It looks wonderful

You can send some of your rain down south. Haven't had any since 6/3 and we usually have about 5 inches.